Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Visit to the Science Museum

Well I'm quite proud of myself.. we managed 3 major trips during this spring break! Yesterday I took Beth up to the Science Museum. Sadly the building for this one is 'normal', so no fantastic architecture to admire. Basically, I enjoyed it, but Bethany wasn't too impressed.

The main halls downstairs are quite impressive.. one in particular looks at how the modern world developed, and it has steam engines (including Stephenson's 'Rocket'), cars, and even aeroplanes hanging from the ceiling! They also have the actual Apollo 10 Command Module - I tried to explain to Bethany that this had actually been in space, with real spacemen, but she wasn't impressed!

I then got dragged down to the Launch Pad, which is where they have hands-on experiments for children. However, Beth wasn't really interested in what she was learning, she just wanted to play! We did go in a show about bubbles, which was alot of fun.. especially seeing a methane filled bubble set alight!

After lunch we went to The History of Medicine section.. Beth had some interest, but not as much as myself. We went to a show entitled 'Medical Marvels', which was ok, but not that well presented. I've studied a little bit of Medical History, and there were more interesting things they could have picked.

Our final show was 'Remedy Detectives', which I was looking forward to.. again, it was different to what I expected, and disappointing.

The final section we visited was about the development of the modern home, looking at the development of items such as washing machines, vacuums and radios. This was a bit better for Bethany, because they provided some buttons to press!

All in all, this is a great museum for older children and adults. There are things to keep the younger ones interested, but also alot that will bore them. For a good day out for all ages, I would recommend The Natural History Museum instead. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow,
you must have lots of energy to manage all this! Lucky Beth
I think its quite normal for children to just enjoy the playing but at as long as they are enjoying it then they are taking something in at their level. Next time you visit it will be at a different level. You are a good mum to get her there

19 April 2006 at 11:09  
Blogger southernlady said...

I'm sorry the museum wasn't as big a hit as the other two adventures. Kudos for trying tho.

20 April 2006 at 02:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home