Monday, May 15, 2006

Dr Who

There has been some discussion on Invicta radio about Dr Who. The 2 breakfast DJs don't like the program, and wanted to know what it was that made it so popular.

The listeners came up with some good reasons...
a) Nostalgia - the adults watching it now remember watching it when they were young, and so it therefore has some nostalgic magic,
b) Family viewing - it's something that parents and kids can sit down together to watch,
c) Escapism - speaks for itself really, and
d) David Tennant - he's sexy, and a good actor.

Personally, the only one I can really agree with is the escapism angle - it is one of those programs you can just get lost in for an hour. As for the others, although I was aware of Dr Who, and especially the Daleks, I didn't really watch it as a child. I can't share it with Bethany, because although she really likes it, it does seem to scare her, and cause nightmares. :(

As for David Tennant, although I can see a certain sexiness about him, I'm not keen on him as The Doctor. I enjoyed Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor.. he seemed to portray more emotions, and he had a better relationship with Rose.

Unfortunately, the DJs decided to give it another try this weekend. I say unfortunately, because I wasn't impressed by the Cyberman, or the storyline, so it may have been that they chose the wrong week to watch!

So what do you think.. do you enjoy it, or do you not 'get it'? How are you finding David Tennant.. is he your Dr Who, or do you prefer one of the older ones?

5 Comments:

Blogger The Book Fiend said...

really enjoy it, but I have to admit, I'm not overly enamoured of Mr. Tennant as the Doc or as anything else. I don't find him remotely attractive & he's so far been a bit of a let-down after the fantastic Mr Eccleston (who isn't sexy either, but made a wonderful Dr). I was an avid fan as a kid & especially loved the Cybermen (again, a tad disappointing this time round). Tom Baker is "my" Dr & always will be - he's the one I first watched & he has a special place in my heart forever for that.

Part of it IS nostalgia for me, as I always loved this programme & was devastated when it was taken off the air, so I, for one, am really glad it's back. I also agree it takes a certain kind of kid to watch it without getting the willies - it can be a bit scary for some.

15 May 2006 at 17:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
Not much to say on the Dr Who front but having a bad day so just popped in to say Hello!

16 May 2006 at 09:41  
Blogger Michelle said...

LOL anonymous - it's always nice to have someone say hello. If I knew who you were, I could return the gesture! ;)

16 May 2006 at 09:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After I posted that I realised it sounded strange that having bad day means coming to see what your up to! I meant I wanted to see some of the nicer people in the world. My name is Anna.

17 May 2006 at 12:02  
Blogger Michelle said...

When you're selecting 'Choose your identity', you can select Other, and put your name. :)
It's nice to have you visit.

17 May 2006 at 13:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home