Friday, May 12, 2006

What were you doing at 11?

I think this is the saddest thing I've heard for a while..
Pregnant at 11

In case the article gets moved, this is a young girl that found herself pregnant at 11. Even sadder is that it happened after she got drunk and lost her virginity to a 15 year old boy.

Why on earth was an 11 year old girl in a position where she could get drunk and get pregnant? And why did she feel the need?

When I was 11, my mum knew where I was all the time, I hadn't thought about alcohol, and I certainly hadn't thought about sex! I was busy settling into secondary school, making friends, and talking about pop groups and football!

We didn't start having 'proper' parties until we were about 13, and there was always an adult presence. And nothing stronger to drink than cola!

What sort of upbringing has this child had?

In the article, she talks about taking her baby swimming, and for walks in the park. She knows how to give it a bottle, and how to change a nappy. However, every parent reading this knows that there is so much more to bringing up a child.. and I doubt she's ready for that at 12 - she's still a child herself, for goodness sake! And she can't rely on her own mum for help.. she's hardly done a good job with her own child!

I'm sorry if I sound judgemental, but this sort of situation makes me feel sad and angry. Seeing the kind of upbringing this child must have had herself, and the life she leads, I see little future for a baby.. and I see history repeating itself. Children are a gift, and we have a responsibilty to bring them up well - and in my eyes, this child's mother has failed.

4 Comments:

Blogger southernlady said...

I don't think you are being judgemental at all. It truly is sad and upsetting when children are having children.

And what's worse is that here in the US, there are some states that still have laws on the books allowing for the female, esp, to be of a very young age.

But what is the answer? More laws would be government interference.

Liz

12 May 2006 at 09:48  
Blogger The Book Fiend said...

I'm shocked, saddened & angered by this story. It's ridiculous that this girl was in such a position in the 1st place but her mother is obviously a terible parent herself. It's stories like this that lead me to believe that parental lisencing should be considered & then where would we be?!

12 May 2006 at 10:38  
Blogger Cinthia Hamer said...

Since Liz and Kell have pretty much said it all....what I'm wondering about is the baby's father? Where is HE??? One would hope he's in prison for statutory rape.

And HIS parents should be at least 50% financially responsible for that baby's care. If they'd raised him right he wouldn't have seduced a child.

Yes, the girl was wrong to get drunk, but even if she were passed out drunk there is absolutely NO excuse on Earth for that kid to have touched her.

12 May 2006 at 11:05  
Blogger Michelle said...

Cindy..
"The youngster had unprotected sex with a boy of 15 in Edinburgh on a night out with pals last August. The father, who cannot be identified, may face legal action."

*May* face legal action?! I agree with you - he should.

12 May 2006 at 11:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home