Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Things that make you go 'Grr'!

Today I saw these two posts on a book forum:

"what are some fiction or non-fiction book that is sorta short n is interesting n like pulls u in? im in highschool 9th grade n this is for english. if u had to recommend a book wut wud it be that isnt too long."

"thanx! does any1 else hv any books n i cant read animal farm cuz i read it last yr n mice n men i cant read either cuz thats our summer reading. thanx tho"

I find it hard to believe that a high school student would really write like that, so I assume that he/she has spent too long sending texts on their mobile phone. And that's something that makes me go 'Grr'!

I understand the need to shorten words when texting.. you need to fill as little space as possible, and those keypads are quite restrictive. However, when you're at your pc, with a perfectly good keyboard in front of you, is it really necessary?!

I always found that most of the youngsters using MSN Spaces did this.. whole pages written in 'txt spk'. I didn't hang around long, and could be heard muttering about it for some time afterwards!

I have another gripe today - toddlers wandering around with juice in bottles! Do their parents not realise that they subjecting those poor little teeth to a constant sugar bombardment?!

When I worked in a day surgery unit, we had a theatre that the dental school used. Twice a week we had a massive list of toddlers and young children having to have a short anaesthetic so that they could have fillings or extractions. When they came in for their pre-assessments, a high percentage of these youngsters arrived with bottles of juice.. sometimes hanging out of their mouths. When we tried to talk to their parents about it, we were simply dismissed.

Adults, if you wish to destroy your own teeth, that's up to you, but please take care of your childrens.

So.. what makes you go 'Grr'?!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cinthia Hamer said...

Hey there--

Yes, I can completely understand why BOTH things make you go "GRR!"

I think the first is a condition whose origins are simply because this generation is pretty much the first that grew up in a home computer society. The young 30's crowd, like yourself had access to "bulletin boards" and other places early on, but forums and chat rooms didn't really take off until the last 10 years or so.

On the second "grr". Even when my kids were small, I'd see parents who put Kool-Aid, Coca Cola (YIKES! Sugar AND Caffeine!!) and juice in sippy cups and bottles. Then they bitch and moan about dental bills and can't understand why their kids are out of control. (shakes head and rolls eyes)

I just have to bite my tongue because until the law says otherwise, it's THEIR kid and they're not breaking the law.

11 May 2006 at 12:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home