Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Omelettes - milk or no milk?

This may shock many of you, but I've never cooked an omelette before. Today I was looking at the contents of my fridge for lunch ideas, and decided to give it a try.

The closest I could think of was scrambled eggs, so I mixed up eggs, milk and a little butter, added a little cheese and ham, and popped it in the frying pan. My first effort was far too thick and runny, so I popped that in the bin, and tried again!

The result may not have been the perfect omelette, and was a little.. how shall I put this.. ok, it was a little burnt! But, it was certainly edible, and I left a clean plate! (My daughter left all hers, but then my excuse for that is that she doesn't like scrambled egg either!)

Anyway, I then decided to turn to the internet to find out how I should have made it.. and it turns out there's a big debate as to whether omelettes should contain a little milk or not! (What a fascinating world we live in!)

So, do you add milk or not? Any tips on making the perfect omelette, any favourite fillings? And will anyone else admit to being an 'omelette virgin' as I once was?!

1 Comments:

Blogger The Book Fiend said...

I don't use milk in mine. I do the following:

1. Separate the yolks from the whites.

2. Beat the whites till light & fluffy.

3. Add seasonings to the yolk & gently fold into the whites (this will make it slightly floppier in consistency, but don't worry!).

4. Add to a piping-hot, well-oiled frying pan & cook till golden on one side.

5. Flip over & cook a further minute or so on the other.

6. Add the filling to the omlette, fold over the top & stick under a pre-heated grill for a couple of minutes, tops, till the surface is golden & the egg is cooked right through.

7. Serve immediately, to the "Oohs" & "Ahhs" of your family & friends as they admire your handywork.

I like to use a little good, strong cheddar grated onto mine. Mmmmm!

14 March 2006 at 13:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home